Why Composite Resin Is Better for Filling Cavities
Fillings have been the best way to treat cavities for over a hundred years. Many patients have fillings made from silver amalgam with up to 50% mercury content. This material has been used for decades to fill cavities and for a long time was the only option for patients. Total Care Dental in Madison now offers composite resin to replace mercury fillings.
Health Concerns from Mercury Fillings
One major downside to mercury fillings is the increased risk of mercury poisoning. The mercury in amalgam fillings increases mercury exposure in patients. While some reports claim the exposure levels to be toxic, studies show the overall amount of mercury in the fillings is minimal. It was perceived patients with significant amounts of amalgam would have to worry about mercury poisoning. However, many dentists have started to move away from amalgam in favor of a safer option. Total Care Dental offers composite resin fillings as the alternative.
Cosmetic Concerns from Silver Amalgam Fillings
Amalgam material contains metals that can expand or contract from extreme temperature changes. Over time, this can cause the filling to no longer fit and damage the tooth further.
Silver fillings have another disadvantage to resin: they do not match natural teeth. Named after their silver coloring, this becomes noticeable and alters the appearance of your smile. Amalgam fillings can be seen on teeth farther back whenever the mouth is open wide, like talking, singing or laughing. Other filling materials like gold are equally noticeable.
Composite Resin Fillings: A Cavity Treatment Alternative
Composite resin fillings from Total Care Dental have many advantages over silver amalgams.
- The main benefit: resin doesn’t contain mercury, eliminating the chance of poisoning.
- Restores the natural appearance of the tooth.
- Can be customized to match the color of your natural teeth. We recommend whitening your teeth before receiving a filling for a blended result.
- Some patients are allergic to mercury and amalgam materials. Resin fillings are the answer.
- Composite resin fillings are more affordable than ever with Total Care Dental’s financing plans. We accept cash, credit cards and most major dental insurers. Call our offices to learn more.
Prevent Cavities with Total Care Dental
Preventative care treatment from our Madison dentists will help you avoid the need to ever have fillings. Our advanced techniques include using X-rays and equipment to check for cavities early. Always remember to brush and floss your teeth daily.